Continental Underwriters, Inc. is looking for a Staff Accountant! We are a full-service intermediary and program administrator specializing in all aspects of forest products insurance. As one of the foremost solution providers of insurance for the forest products industry, our reach is nationwide. Our motto is to always do things the right way, even if it’s not the easy way. The Continental Underwriters’ team is focused on winning trust and growing future opportunities.
As a Staff Accountant at Continental Underwriters, Inc., one’s primary responsibilities would be to manage the financial accounts between brokers, carriers, and the records within the company’s insurance management system. The Staff Accountant works closely with Underwriting Technicians and Underwriting Analysts to ensure payments received from brokers are reconciled with the company insurance management system and the payable amounts owed to industry carriers. The Staff Accountant helps resolve discrepancies between the broker and the system and collaborates with both parties to ensure billings are accurate and collectable. The Staff Accountant is also responsible for bank reconciliations, broker statements, and various month-end reporting.
- Check online bank balances for any electronic transactions, deposit cash receipts for the day, transfer funds between operating and premium accounts as applicable and record in insurance management system
- Review surplus lines invoices prepared by underwriters prior to release to broker
- Run broker agency bill accounts receivable report and reconcile aged balances
- Review carrier statements for payables due and reconcile to the system. Work with the Underwriting Technicians or team lead to resolve any differences including premium and commission differences
- Review brokers return premium requests and determine whether funds have been received from carriers. Ensure accuracy in order to return premium to brokers
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Generate broker statements and email to brokers
- File/review surplus lines taxes
- Reconcile direct bill carrier/broker amounts to insurance management system and generate commission checks
- Manage centralized accounting email box
- Ad hoc reporting and other projects and responsibilities as assigned
- Role will work closely with and report directly to the Controller
- 2+ years of accounting / clerical experience
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Adobe Professional a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work in a small company environment
- This position does not require prior experience in the insurance industry. We are looking for someone with the right attitude, personality, and potential; we can teach the technical skills!
- Competitive salary
- Health Benefits & 401K with employer match
- Gym membership
- Employer paid continuing education courses and designations
- Enjoy all the amenities the trendy Scott’s Addition neighborhood has to offer!
We are extremely proud of our friendly, team-oriented work environment and encourage superstars! If you are honest, positive, and looking for a team to grow with, we welcome you to join us. Our ideal candidate is comfortable operating independently along with promoting the success of our entire Continental Underwriters, Inc. team. They are eager to learn, curious and inquisitive, and able to learn from mistakes and constructive criticism. If this sounds like you, let’s talk about your future today!
If you are interested, you may send your résumé and a brief explanation of why you would be a good fit for this role and for our company to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continental Underwriters, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.